Can gaming become an addiction?

An addiction is defined as a person’s inability to control use of a substance or behavior, despite negative consequences. Some people who are engrossed in video games while ignoring other normal activities could be close to meeting this definition.

So why does this happen? The reward center in the brain releases dopamine in response to a pleasurable experience or hyperarousal. If a person experiences hyperarousal while playing video games, the brain associates the activity with dopamine. The person develops a strong drive to seek out that same pleasure again and again.

Dopamine is a powerful neurotransmitter in the brain. It helps sustain people’s interest and attention, which is why it can hard for people to tear themselves away from a situation or behavior. It’s also self-reinforcing. The more times people experience the behavior, the more dopamine is released, and the more driven they are to return to the behavior.

Symptoms of screen time or video game addiction

Similar to tobacco, alcohol or drugs, screen time or video games can become an addiction if it damages your health and relationships, and you are unable to control it.

What do you think ?

1 Like

Yeah, gaming just like every other activities can become an addiction if involved in excessively

1 Like

Yes, it can. Depending on the kind of game and how much a person is engrossed.

1 Like

Yes, it can. Gaming addiction was actually classified as a mental disorder by WHO in 2018/19.

A lot of video game companies tried to fight this order that they were wrong.
I don’t really think video games can be addictions

Well, we have seen severe cases of kids just spending hours and hours on video games. Another guy spent like 3 days on his sofa just doing nothing but playing video games. Personally, I have found myself spending way too much time on them. I think if video games occupy so much of your time that it affects your daily productivity (unless you’re a pro-gamer) or even ability to connect with people then it is an addiction.

1 Like

I agree with your point of if the person is unable to carry out activities but the thing is I know a lot of people who game a lot but are not addicted